We’ve written before about the different types of water heaters that are available on today’s market. Where once everyone used storage tank water heaters, tankless systems have become increasingly popular. When you are looking to replace an older water heater, or are planning on the first installation of a water heater in a new home, you’ll have to balance out whether or not to go with a tankless model. Is tankless automatically the better option? Let’s take a closer look at the “tank v. tankless” debate.
On the surface, going tankless is a better choice
When listing out the advantages of a tankless water heater, it will immediately seem like the overwhelmingly superior choice compared to a storage tank water heater:
- Tankless systems don’t run out of hot water.
- They use much less energy than storage water heaters, which must keep the water continually hot for immediate use.
- They take up a small amount of space.
- They have long lifespans, allowing more time to take advantage of their energy savings.
But tankless systems do have disadvantages to take into consideration
There are some places where a tankless water heater lags behind the conventional storage tank water heater.
- Storage tank water heaters cost less to install initially.
- Tankless waters heater have a longer delay in delivering heated water to taps.
- Waiting for the water to heat up also allows for water waste.
- If too many taps are on at the same time, a tankless water heater will lose efficiency.
The best choice is… to ask your professional plumber
Licensed plumbers with experience installing a variety of water heater types can give you a good idea of what system is best for your particular residential situation. Perhaps replacing your tank system with a similar one is simply the easiest and the best fit for your budget. Or perhaps the plumber will determine that the many tankless advantages overwhelm any other consideration.
You can trust the team at Ken Neyer Plumbing, Inc. to find the right water heater for your household. Call us today for services in Montgomery, OH and the Cincinnati area.